Academic Appeals

The Academic Appeals procedure can be used if you feel you need to challenge the decision of:
  • An Extenuating Circumstances Officer – outcome of an ECF
  • The Unit Assessment Board – individual assessment outcomes
  • The Board of Examiners – academic progress and overall grades

  Did you know?

You cannot Appeal simply because you are unhappy with your grade. If you feel there has been a mistake with a mark you have received for an assessment, you should follow the 'Request for Remark' procedures, which can be viewed on page 6-7 of the University's 'Guide to the Appeals Procedure'.

The Process

  1. How to Appeal:
    First seek an interview with the appropriate Officer – we can accompany you to meetings for support and check you have grounds to appeal
  2. Write appeal:
    You have 10 working days from the date that the decision you want to challenge was published to produce and submit a written Appeal. If you were unable to submit your Appeal within 10 working days, your Appeal Statement should explain why.
  3. Outcome:
    1. Invalid Appeal:
      You will be given advice and the reasons why the Appeal was invalid 
    2. Valid Appeal:
      An interview with the Academic Registrar and an independent member of the Academic Council. If the Academic Registrar decides there is "no case to answer", the Appeal will fail and no further action taken.
    3. A Case to Answer:
      If the Academic Registrar deems that there is a "case to answer" an Appeals Committee will be appointed to decide whether the decision of the board should be changed. If your case is strong the Academic Registrar may take action without involving an Appeals Committee.
  4. Unhappy with the outcome?
    If you believe your appeal has still not been resolved properly, you can apply to the Office of the Independent Adjudicator (OIA) for an independent review.

How the Union Advice Service can help

We can help you...

  • through the University’s Academic Appeals or Request for Remark procedures

  • with identifying and accessing support that may be beneficial to you with the issues you are experiencing

  • attain the contact details for the relevant Chair or Officer

  • develop your Appeal Statement

  • by offering Representation and accompanying you to meetings

  • to understand the Office of the Independent Adjudicator (OIA) Complaints procedures

Still need some advice? Book an appointment!

I Need Support!


OIAHE: Office of the Independent Adjudicator for Higher Education.
They are an independent body set up to review student complaints. Free to students, the OIA deals with individual complaints against Higher Education Providers in England and Wales. Before they can look at your complaint you will need to take your complaint through the internal complaints or appeals procedures at the University.