Living In Private Accommodation

Private Rented Accommodation

This is the most common type of private accommodation for students, where you can rent a property with other University students. You would probably have your own room but share a bathroom, kitchen and living room area. If you're considering this route, here's some useful information regarding living in private accommodation.

"What can I expect from living with other people?"

What and Where

You might want to live in a shared house with other students, lodgings/room in a private house, or a private flat/bedsit.

The main student areas are spread across five locations within approximately a 2-mile radius of the city centre: Southsea, Fratton, Eastney, Milton, and Old Portsmouth. However, moving slightly outside of these areas still allows for easy access to the University campus, nightlife and shopping areas.

Whichever type of accommodation or location you decide on, the University's Student Housing Team offers advice on finding the right place and a house-hunting guide. You will also find information that you need to know once you are in housing, such as deposits, contracts and repairs.

Some things to think about when house-hunting: The Mix - Home Truths, Rightmove Rental Quiz

Find accommodation through the University's Student Pad website.

External Content

The content above is provided by the University of Portsmouth’s Student Housing Team, the Students’ Union cannot take responsibility for any of the content shared. Please report any broken links to

Contact us

The University of Portsmouth Students’ Union has a vision of creating a positive impact with every Portsmouth student during their time at University.

© 2020 UPSU. Registered charity number 1136115, a company limited by guarantee in England and Wales number 3934555.

Site designed, developed and managed by MemPlus