Work with us
Job Reference: UPSU22140
Term: Until July 2024
Closing Date: midday, 5th October 2022
Interview Date: w/c 10th October 2022
We need a Student Trustee to help influence the strategic direction of UPSU!
We are looking for an enthusiastic student to sit on the Board of Trustees 2020-21 to help us develop student services and activities and influence the important decisions made by the Union. A strong and active Board is crucial for us as we endeavour to create an even better Union; one that is flexible and agile enough to react quickly to the changing needs and interests of our members and achieve our vision of ‘having a Positive Impact with every Portsmouth student’.
Full details of the role can be found in the recruitment pack
- A Portsmouth University Student with an enthusiasm for developing student services and student activities.
- Able able to influence the strategic direction of an organisation and can demonstrate effective leadership qualities.
- Commands confidence, have sound judgement and strong communication skills.
- We particularly welcome applications from BAME candidates and candidates with disabilities, as these groups are currently under-represented on our Board. We would also particularly encourage 1st and 2nd year students to apply for this position.
What’s in it for you?
- You’ll have the chance to represent and positively affect students like you
- You’ll develop a wide range of invaluable skills in governance, leadership, finance and strategy
- You will also develop important team working skills; you’ll need to be able to negotiate empathise, listen and communicate ideas or concerns effectively during board meetings
- It will look great on your CV, job applications or to future employers
- You will have access to a range of diverse professional networks, which means you are able to gain knowledge or scope out opportunities for the next step in your career progression
- All new Trustees receive a comprehensive induction training, as well as opportunities to meet elected officers and staff of the Union.
As a charity led by its values and guided by its students, the Union does this by providing wide-ranging services and learner support to the 20,000 + students of the University of Portsmouth. The Union is based in the centre of Portsmouth and turns over £1.7M per annum, employing approximately 35 career staff and a further 35 student staff. The organisation also works with over 1000 registered student volunteers and over 100 student groups.
Please note, candidates must fill in an application form. CVs will not be accepted.
For an informal conversation about this opportunity, please contact Temidayo Dosunmu, Chair of Board of Trustees 2022-23, on email@example.com
Deadline for applications: midday, 5th October 2022
Interview Dates: W/C 10th October 2022
The Union is a MINDFUL EMPLOYER® and will ensure that its recruitment activities are mindful of equality and diversity matters.
How to Apply
Completed application forms should be emailed before the closing date to:firstname.lastname@example.org
Please quote the job title or reference number in the subject.
- CVs will not be considered as applications
- Due to the high number of applicants, if you have not heard from UPSU by the interview date you should assume you have been unsuccessful in your application
- Applications must be received before the stated closing time/date
- Applications may also be submitted by post, addressed to: Job Applications, University of Portsmouth Students' Union, Cambridge Road, Portsmouth PO1 2EF
Share Job Post
The University of Portsmouth Students’ Union has a vision of creating a positive impact with every Portsmouth student during their time at University.