Work with us
PGM/BAME Ambassador (Student Role Only)
Job Reference: UPSU22139
Remuneration: £9.50 per hour
Term: Until July 2023
Closing Date: Midday, 13th July 2022
Interview Date: Between 21st-29th July 2022
We are looking for a an enthusiastic student to:
- Support PGM/BAME students.
- Actively lobby and contribute to the work of the university in tackling the BAME Attainment Gap (also known as the Awarding Gap), with a particular focus on identifying and addressing specifics within each faculty.
- Seek out, listen & act upon feedback and opinion from PGM/BAME Students about their student experience while studying at Portsmouth, thus enabling their voices to be amplified within the University.
- Work alongside the Students Union (Elected Officers) & the University (Harriet Dunbar Morris and/or Paul Hayes) in developing and running student-led campaigns surrounding the BAME Attainment Gap (also known as the Awarding Gap).
- This is a 1 year fixed term position until July 2023.
Skills you’ll need:
- Experience of working with a variety of people from different cultures, backgrounds and ages.
- Ability to work collectively in a group by coordinating tasks effectively and efficiently.
- Ability to communicate effectively with key people relevant to the role.
- Maintaining up to date knowledge on current and key affairs, both social and political.
- An understanding of the benefits of improving and facilitating PGM/BAME education and student experience.
- You must be a student in the academic year 2022/23
What’s in it for you?
- The chance to work with a passionate team of staff and students
- You’ll develop your team working skills and planning skills with events
- You’ll develop communications skills through the discussions you will have with both the University, Students’ Union and students.
- You’ll develop skills in order to deliver reactive campaigns to current social movements
- You’ll develop the ability to co-create with university staff within your faculty.
- It will look great on your CV, job applications or to future employers
As a charity led by its values and guided by its students, the Union does this by providing wide-ranging services and learner support to the 20,000 + students of the University of Portsmouth. The Union is based in the centre of Portsmouth and turns over £1.7M per annum, employing approximately 35 career staff and a further 35 casual staff. The organisation also works with over 1000 registered student volunteers and over 100 student groups.
Please note, candidates must fill in an application form. CVs will not be accepted. Further information about Portsmouth Students’ Union is available at www.upsu.net.
For an informal conversation about this opportunity, please contact Alex Donovan-Lowe on email@example.com.
Deadline: Midday, 13th July 2022
Interviews: Between 21st-29th July 2022
The Union is a MINDFUL EMPLOYER® and will ensure that its recruitment activities are mindful of equality and diversity matters.
How to Apply
Completed application forms should be emailed before the closing date to:firstname.lastname@example.org
Please quote the job title or reference number in the subject.
- CVs will not be considered as applications
- Due to the high number of applicants, if you have not heard from UPSU by the interview date you should assume you have been unsuccessful in your application
- Applications must be received before the stated closing time/date
- Applications may also be submitted by post, addressed to: Job Applications, University of Portsmouth Students' Union, Cambridge Road, Portsmouth PO1 2EF
Share Job Post
The University of Portsmouth Students’ Union has a vision of creating a positive impact with every Portsmouth student during their time at University.