Work with us
Student Director (Student Role Only)
Job Reference: UPSU22191
Term: 2 Years Fixed Term (Max Two Terms)
Closing Date: 30th September 2023
Interview Date: W/C 9th October 2023
We are looking for an enthusiastic Student Director for our Trading Company Board to support the enterprise through its next steps as we seek to develop and grow the business. A strong and active Board is crucial for us as we implement our new strategy and endeavour to grow our business; one that is flexible and agile enough to react quickly to the changing needs and interests of our members and drive an increasing level of profit for the charity.
- A Portsmouth University Student with an interest for student experience as well as running a commercial business
- Able able to influence the strategic direction of an organisation and can demonstrate effective leadership qualities.
- Commands confidence, have sound judgement and strong communication skills.
- We particularly welcome applications from BAME/PGM candidates and candidates with disabilities, as these groups are currently under-represented on our Board. We would also particularly encourage 1st and 2nd year students to apply for this position.
What’s in it for you?
- You’ll develop a wide range of invaluable skills in governance, leadership, finance and strategy
- You will also develop important team working skills; you’ll need to be able to negotiate empathise, listen and communicate ideas or concerns effectively during board meetings
- It will look great on your CV, job applications or to future employers
- You will have access to a range of diverse professional networks, which means you are able to gain knowledge or scope out opportunities for the next step in your career progression
- All new Directors receive a comprehensive induction training, as well as opportunities to meet elected officers and staff of the Union.
The University of Portsmouth Students’ Union (The Union or UPSU for short) is a forward thinking, friendly organisation with a vision of “delivering a positive impact with every Portsmouth student”. As a charity led by its values and guided by its members, we offer a wide range of services and activities to support and enrich the lives of our students. UPSU employs approximately 35 career staff, a further 100 student staff and we work with over 1000 registered student volunteers and over 100 student groups.
For an informal conversation about this opportunity, please contact email@example.com. Further information about Portsmouth Students’ Union is available at www.upsu.net.
Deadline for applications: Midday, 30 September 2023
Interview Dates: W/C 9th Oct 2023
We kindly ask that candidates do not send CVs or cover letters as these will not be considered. You can find an application form on our website.
Anonymous shortlisting will be carried out for this role to ensure a fair and consistent approach to recruitment. We will not disclose any personal details to the shortlisting panel. Any documents or links with identifying information will not be used during shortlisting, but can be submitted if you are selected for an interview.
We are strongly dedicated to embedding equality, diversity and inclusion (EDI) within our community and we are passionate about creating a welcoming and inclusive environment which supports everyone from recruitment through to appointment, regardless of your background. We welcome applications from all talented people and as part of this commitment, we are working to improve the diversity of our workforce to ensure that it is as relevant and representative of our student community as possible and are actively encouraging applications from underrepresented groups.
The Union is a MINDFUL EMPLOYER® and we are committed to creating a supportive and open culture and actively support the mental wellbeing of all staff.
Due to the high number of applicants, if you have not heard from UPSU by the interview date you should assume you have been unsuccessful in your application.
How to Apply
Completed application forms should be emailed before the closing date to:firstname.lastname@example.org
Please quote the job title or reference number in the subject.
- CVs will not be considered as applications
- Due to the high number of applicants, if you have not heard from UPSU by the interview date you should assume you have been unsuccessful in your application
- Applications must be received before the stated closing time/date
- Applications may also be submitted by post, addressed to: Job Applications, University of Portsmouth Students' Union, Cambridge Road, Portsmouth PO1 2EF
Share Job Post
The University of Portsmouth Students’ Union has a vision of creating a positive impact with every Portsmouth student during their time at University.