Think Before You Drink
Take some time to think before you drink, so your night out doesn't become a nightmare
- Posted Thu, Oct 14, 2021 5:13 PM
For some, heading out out when you get to uni is a right of passage, and after the last two years, who wants to stay in?
We get it - a new found freedom, fun and festivities, but you have to remember it's not fun unless you are all safe.
Looking out for yourself and others makes sure that everyone has a good time, whether here in Portsmouth, out out in your home town. We have put together some top tips and information to make sure that your night out is as enjoyable as it should be.
Make sure you keep safe at night, whether on a night out or heading home after study, remember these handy tips:
- Avoid walking home alone. If you do, share your location with friends and family or download an app to use with other built in safety features.
- Keep to well lit areas and avoid places you don't know, even if it’s a short cut.
- Get cash before you go out at night. This means you can avoid using cash machines in the dark. Make sure you have some saved for the journey home too.
- You may come across aggression, avoid getting into a fight by staying calm and respecting others space. If you do have a problem walk away as fast as you can and report the incident to the police.
- When getting a taxi, be sure to get a reputable, licenced taxis or use Uber. Remember to check the car and driver match the app and to ask 'Who are you waiting for?' rather than 'Are you waiting for...'. If you feel uncomfortable, ask them to stop in a well lit and populated area.
Reporting a crime
If you become a victim of crime, report to the Police or University Security immediately.
- Off campus call 999
- On campus call +44 (0) 23 9284 3333 (3333 on internal phones)
- Non-urgent reports can be made to any police station or by calling 101
- You can also use the University Report + Support platform
We've put together some other resources that you might find helpful:
- Drinkaware - The Drinkaware Trust is an independent UK-wide alcohol education charity
- Talk to Frank - Talk to Frank for facts, support and advice on drugs and alcohol today.
- Recovery Hub - The Recovery Hub provides access to a wide range of support for people experiencing problems with their substance use.
The University of Portsmouth Students’ Union has a vision of creating a positive impact with every Portsmouth student during their time at University.